Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bad News from the Hood


Friday morning when I took Saby for her early morning walk, I noticed the neighbor across the street's garage door was open. In fact, it'd been open a lot in the last few days and that's highly unusual. We literally never see the people who live there doing anything outdoors. Later when I was leaving the house on my bike, the neighbor was standing in front of his garage talking to an older man. I waved and went on my way. An hour later when I returned from my ride, I was shocked to see two Camelback Moving vans at the house with men carrying furniture and boxes out.

A month ago, a friend with access to real estate records had told me that house and another at the end of the block were both set for foreclosure in July. Somehow, since July passed and nothing happened, I assumed they'd found a way out of their situations. I also heard tonight from other neighbors that there are four houses on the street behind in various stages of short sale or foreclosure. And one on the street a block north of us. So another wave is hitting.

My heart goes out to these people. They bought their dream houses with the best of intentions. But then circumstances changed and they got caught in the perfect storm. Craig and I were talking tonight about what a horrid sinking feeling that must be to lose your home. So many people are living on the edge right now and it's frightening.

Here's some facts from this morning's Sunday paper. From August 2007 through August 2009, 80,000 homes in the Valley of the Sun have been foreclosed on. 240,000 jobs have been shed since December 2007, and you have to remember the true numbers are actually much higher because those statistics are based on people receiving unemployment benefits.

Unemployment benefits in Arizona are the second lowest in the nation if you can get them -- right behind Mississippi. So we're talking these people can either choose to pay their rent OR eat, not both. Lots of unemployed people don't qualify for the benefits, and even if they do, the operation is jammed. The paper this morning said there's up to a 16 week backlog to start the benefits. That's four months! So good luck trying to get unemployment in Arizona. Arizona's current job losses are the worst since the Great Depression.

There but for the grace of God go I.

6 comments:

jeanie said...

Sorry to hear that Beck! I am still trying to understand the whole economic crisis. You know I personally blame the Chinese!

Ann said...

I agree with the saying at the end of your post. Of all the women that I work(ed)with , I'm the one that will survive with the least problems if ( or when) the store closes. I usually take the summer off to organize the fair & then go back in Oct. for the holidays into the spring. I don't expect to be going back this year.....And I don't see myself looking for another job at this stage of my life......

Life's a Beach! said...

Ann, I've done some networking with some of the women from work who need full-time jobs. One is now within weeks of losing her apartment, another her car, etc.... These are highly educated people with masters and doctorates who just can't find jobs now in this area. Several commented to me that they wish they'd gone for their Mrs. so they'd have more stability.

Jeanie, I blame the mortgage business, Big Oil, Wall Street, etc.... Oops, forgot George Bush! : )

Sue said...

What a sad story, and to know it's repeated all over the country (world?). I did think things were looking up but I also know it's not easy to find a job to replace the income one was used to (and deserved). I hope things get much better very soon.

Life's a Beach! said...

Me too Sue. It's hard to see people suffer. It makes you feel very lucky to have what you have.

Bennie said...

That's so sad to see someone loose a home. WOW 16 weeks to get Unemployement. Not many folks have that much in reserves. I know they should but the reserves have often been eaten up with the stock market losses.