Thursday, May 3, 2012

When a Dip Isn't Just a Dip . . .



I bet you think this is going to be a lovely post about a dip in the warm clear blue turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea.  Be forewarned -- it's not.  I should apologize in advance because this post probably falls under the category of T.M.I.  But maybe I'll perform a good deed and save someone else's gut.

When is a little bit of dip not just a dip?  When it's a probiotic!

It only took me three cartons of the tastey stuff to figure out its dreadful effects on me.  Duh.  Costco sells a delightful Dill and Cucumber Probiotic Yogurt Dip that I love.  I eat ate it with celery, carrots, green peppers, and even tortilla chips. After getting knocked flat three times in the past three months with what I thought was food poisoning or a stomach flu, I finally figured out the common denominator to my distress. (Sometimes I'm a little slow.)

So beware. After feasting on the healthy stuff on Tuesday, I was down for the count most of the day yesterday. I won't go into the details, but all I can say is painful.  The light bulb finally switched on in my brain and I did a little googling yesterday.  I found out some people can't tolerate probiotics, and sometimes products with the stuff can include bad bacteria along with the good.   In addition to all that, I'm sure I over-consumed.  My son pointed out that I also ate tzatziki during lunch earlier in the same day, and that's made from Greek yogurt which also contains probiotics.  Oh Lord.
 

I woke up tired, but at least not doubled over this morning.  In today's trip to the local healthy market for tonight's dinner, I noticed probiotic trail mix on the shelf.  Uh -- no thanks!  Pass the potato chips and M&M's!




2 comments:

stillhowlyn said...

How I feel your pain! It is such a balancing act, especially for someone like myself with IBS issues. Some probiotic is good, too much..not so much. Thanks for sharing product info...

The Star Gal said...

Thanks for the warning!