Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Cocos! Cocos! Mama Mia, Mama Mia, Coconuts!


On Isla Mujeres, you can identify vendors by sounds.  One of my favorite refrains on Playa Norte signals the approach of the man who sells coconuts. I think his name is Felipe. He's been plying the sand of Playa Norte for as long as I've been visiting the island.  If you listen carefully, you'll hear his distant call.  

I took this video on Playa Norte in late November 2011.  Also take a look at the tide line and notice how much sand's been added since then. 

Mama mia, mama mia, coconuts! Hola amigo! Coconuts, coconuts!  Here he comes in his black apron with his machete.





 We've had a special relationship for years.  A friend of mine used to make a cat yowling sound whenever Coco Man passed and he'd just laugh and yell  Hola Amigo!!!  Later, when I'd be on the island solo, I'd let Coco Man know it was me with the same sound.  The first time I tried it, he came running over laughing, yelling Mamacita, Cuchi Cuchi!   He scared the living daylights out of me!  LOL  Now that Craig's retired and always with me, Coco Man yells out Hola Amiga!

On a recent trip when he spotted some topless women, he added Coco's, Chi Chi's, Coco's, Chi Chi's, Cuchi Cuchi to his song.  He's quite the character!


Love this man and hope to see him on the beach for a LONG time! He's an island icon! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The coco man, Maria with her pepitas and all the other vendors that charmed so many visitors have been banned from the North Beach. The Chamber of Commerce is very proud of this-visitors are heartbroken.

Life's a Beach! said...

I saw the posed photo this morning and translated the article. It states, "Visitors in general, who are already praising this measured through social networks." They must be looking at different internet sites than I do because I haven't seen many favorable comments about the plan. I can't imagine Playa Norte without Isla icons like Maria, Felipe, Tuiggi, the basket man, hat man, and others. Hopefully they'll find it in their hearts and reconsider.